Cultivate is our unique social and therapeutic horticulture service which is designed to help you improve your mental health and wellbeing through working with nature and growing your own food.
Planting, nurturing and harvesting our own food can give us a fantastic sense of achievement and learning new skills is good for overall sense of self-improvement.
Gardening is also great for our physical health - digging, raking and planting can provide you with just as good a work out as going to a gym!
You can come to one of our Cultivate gardens located throughout Aberdeenshire (Aden Country Park, Mintlaw; Landale Gardens, Peterhead and in partnership with Daniel’s Place, Macduff), or if travelling is impractical for you we can come to you.
Cultivate offers you the chance to take part in our bespoke GROW (Greenspace Recovery Onto Work) Programme. It’s a two-part programme delivered in two 12 month sections.
In part one we focus on the softer therapeutic nature of gardening. You will have an opportunity to:
- build your confidence and self-esteem
- increase your social circle
- build on your self-resilience skills
- become more physically active and enjoy fresh produce
In part two we focus more on horticulture and our emphasis moves towards improving your employability skills. The benefits from the phase include:
- increased opportunities for peer support
- developing advanced horticultural skills
- learning to work as a team and within a team
- using your own initiative, improving your problem solving skills